Accidents On Public Property In New Jersey

Call the Lawyers with a History of Getting Results for the Injured

When you’re hurt in an accident caused by a property owners’ negligence, you have the right to seek financial compensation. What if the accident happened on public property?

Too often, injured accident victims assume – falsely – that they cannot file a claim if they are hurt on public property. We want you to know that you may still seek financial compensation, but the laws are different. The experienced personal injury lawyers at Shebell & Shebell, LLC can guide you through the process. Our office is located in Shrewsbury.

What is a premises accident on public property?

In general, public property is any property owned, maintained, or controlled by the government or other public entity. Common examples include parks, playgrounds, streets, sidewalks, parking lots, schools, and libraries.

If you were hurt on public property, it is very important to talk to an attorney as soon as possible. Under the New Jersey law, written notice must be given to any public entity potentially responsible for your injuries within 90 days of the date of your injury, or you will lose the right to seek compensation. When you come talk to us, we can evaluate whether your injuries meet the legal requirements (a permanent injury) and whether the dangerous condition of public property satisfies the legal requirements of Title 59.

Examples of public entities that must be notified within 90 days and may potentially be subject to liability include:

  • Cities, towns, boroughs, townships and villages
  • Counties and county-level agencies
  • The State of New Jersey
  • New Jersey Transit
  • The New Jersey Department of Transportation
  • Police departments
  • The New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority

Like other property owners, public entities have a responsibility to keep premises safe for visitors. When they fail to meet this responsibility, people can get hurt. An injury can leave victims with extensive medical bills, loss of income if you miss work, and permanent injuries. If you were seriously injured on public property, our attorneys can help you get justice.

Who is liable for a slip or trip and fall on a sidewalk?

Many injuries on public property involve uneven, obstructed, or cracked sidewalks, potholes, and other trip and fall hazards. It’s not always clear who is liable for a fall on a sidewalk, walkway, or roadway. Potentially responsible parties include the local government, business owners, and residential property owners, among others. Whomever is liable for your injuries, our slip, trip, and fall injury lawyers will do our best to get to the bottom of it and aggressively pursue justice and compensation for you.

Attorneys Holding Negligent Parties Accountable

We build strong cases based on facts. Our legal team investigates your accident and gathers evidence that shows negligence led to the accident that left you hurt. We review all relevant documentation. We identify and interview witnesses. If needed, we consult experts who can help us understand how the accident happened and determine whether liability exists.

We’ve Been Helping The Injured For Generations

Shebell & Shebell, LLC has been helping the injured throughout New Jersey since 1927. Our founder Thomas Shebell, Sr. grew up in a working-class family and focused on building a family-oriented firm that people could trust. Our firm has grown since then, but we still have that same focus.

Don’t delay. If you were hurt on public property, or in an incident involving a public employee, talk to an attorney as soon as possible. You may not be sure if you have a case, but you should at least learn about what your legal options are. We can review the details of your accident and answer any questions you have.

Contact us to schedule a free consultation with one of our personal injury attorneys. You can come to our office in Shrewsbury, or we can come to you.

Get In Touch

Call Us 24/7!

(732) 663-1122

Office Hours: Mon - Fri:
8:30AM - 5:00PM

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.